Items: 1. NGWM 2022 Update; 2. Nordqua website refurbishment.
This is a mini-version of the newsletter to give some Nordqua-related updates.
1. 35th Nordic Geological Winter Meeting update
We expect that some of you are thinking of attending the NGWM in Iceland in May.
- Meeting dates: 11-13 May 2022, with the intention of an in-person meeting.
- Abstract deadline is approaching very soon:
15 February 2022extended to 1 March 2022.
- Registration is open. Early-bird registration closes on 1 April 2022.
- Full information and latest updates on the meeting website: https://jfi.is/ngwm-2022/
- As usual (and regardless of the format), there will be a NORDQUA-members meeting during the conference. We very much hope to see you there (and in person) in May. This will take place within the main period of the conference 11-13 May. We will update on the time, day, and location nearer the time. If you have an agenda item then please get in touch with the Secretariat.
- We are also planning a ‘NORDQUA’ social gathering after the Icebreaker on Wednesday evening. We will confirm the location and day/time before the meeting.
- If you are thinking to attend the ‘NORDQUA’ Excursion, here is some further information:
- This is Tour 2 and is a 1-day excursion on Saturday 14 May.
- Late Glacial glaciotectonics and marine limit shorelines of the Lower Borgarfjörður region, West Iceland – NORDQUA Excursion
Ívar Örn Benediktsson, Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland
Þorbjörg Sigfúsdóttir, Iceland Met Office
- The Lower Borgarfjörður region in West Iceland has been key for understanding the deglaciation of Iceland and the collapse of the Iceland Ice Sheet in Bølling times, as well as for deciphering Younger Dryas and Early Holocene (Preboreal) glacier dynamics. The excursion will visit marine limit shorelines and deltas in Akrafjall and Skorradalur, the spectacular Skorholtsmelar end-moraine complex, and the glaciotectonics of the Melabakkar-Ásbakkar coastal cliffs.
2. NORDQUA website
- You may have noticed that www.nordqua.org is currently down. This is intentional while we work on some important updates and improvements. We will be launching a new-look NORDQUA website next month!
- • In the meantime you can keep in touch with Nordqua activity and get in touch with the Secretariat team via the following channels:
- Email to: email@example.com
- Twitter: @NORDQUAnews
- Facebook: Facebook group
- New members can sign up for the newsletter via this form.
Best wishes and we look forward to seeing many of you in Iceland in the spring!
Anna Hughes, Ívar Örn Benediktsson, Henry Patton, & Lena Uldal Hansen