Dear participants in the 4th International PalaeoArc conference and 2023 NORDQUA excursions,
The conference and excursions are approaching and final preparation is in full swing. Currently, there are 65 people registered with 31 talks and 29 posters.
Here are some important practical information. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Tobba at the Athygli conference secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ívar, the chair of the Local Organizing Committee (email@example.com).
- The conference program is now available at the conference website here: https://www.palaeoarc-nordqua2023.is/program
- Each slot for oral presentation is 15 min (talk 12 min + Q&A 3 min). Slide size/aspect ratio is widescreen 16:9
- The icebreaker will take place in the beautiful Akureyri Botanical Garden, Sunday 27th at 19:30 (location: https://goo.gl/maps/8NUPohYUebGRDp85A). The Icebreaker includes some drinks and snacks but the bar will be open for those who are particularly thirsty…
- The conference takes place in Hof Cultural and Conference Center (location: https://goo.gl/maps/bFCDPofeSNb3ZpLa8), starting Monday morning, Aug 28th, with registration at 8:30.
- Specific poster session will take place Monday, Aug 28th, at 13:00 – 15:00. Posters should, however, be put up as early as possible Monday morning and be left hanging throughout the conference.
- The mid-conference excursion to Tjörnes will include a 4-5 km long hike over partly uneven, moist/wet or dry terrain (grassland, sandy-cobbly beaches). Good hiking boots/shoes are highly recommended.
- Banquet for those who have ticket will take place on Tuesday, Aug 29th, at Restaurant Strikið at 19:00.
- Variable weather may be expected during the conference and excursions – from dry and warm (~15-20°C) to wet and cold (5-10°C), calm or windy. Weather forecasts for Akureyri/North Iceland can be viewed here: https://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/northeast/, and here https://www.blika.is/spa/26, and here https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-2633274/Iceland/Northeast/Akureyrarkaupsta%C3%B0ur/Akureyri.
- For those participating in excursions, please check the forecasts and dress accordingly. Water-proof shell, woolen underwear, or even shorts could be good to bring along.
- For those who fancy a hot bath at some point, the public swimming pool in Akureyri is one of the best in Iceland and the Forest Lagoon is also highly recommended.
We look very much forward to seeing you in Akureyri, North Iceland, on August 27th!